Monday, November 10, 2008

I May Need Therapy

I've talked a bit (OK, a lot) of the crazy, fever like symptoms of building this particular car. I'm certainly not alone. There a dozens of others around the world building Milner tributes or clones. They undoubtedly would tell you similar tales. I've fought these people on eBay. I know. They're sick! But I digress.

I think in any project of this type, if enough time, money, and energy is spent...you eventually run out. Money is always an issue. That gets out of hand fairly quickly among Graffiti fans. Funds or lack of the same is probably the main reason these clones aren't finished more often. I don't think anyone knows what they are getting into when they start.

Time seems to accelerate during the build. I don't know what happened. When we started I was healthy, young and reasonable. Who is that fat fucker in the mirror now? Has it been that long? Where's my wife? Have you seen my kids lately? Why do the guys at A&M have new cars and I'm trying to stretch another 50,000 miles out of my F-150?
But energy... Ahhh there it is. That is really the issue. How long can you stay enthusiastic about something for five plus years? Jeez, it's only a car. Marriages have shorter lifespans these days. Don't get me wrong, I still love American Graffiti. The Coupe is still my favorite hot rod. But when is enough enough? I would be embarrassed to divulge the quan we have dumped into this vehicle. A lot of it wasted in the beginning just learning about the Coupe and '32 5 Windows in general. You have to remember, when we started this the Graffiti Coupe was still a mystery. 'da Hui and that duo from Oz were pioneers in the vast wasteland that was Coupe knowledge. We were committed (or should have been committed some would argue). Hundreds of hours at swap meets, on the phone, online, gone forever. It took a whole lot of drive. Energy. Grit. Want to.
Is it gone? I thought it could be.
But we went down to the shop today. Had a laying on of the hands so to speak. Maybe that's it. So much has revolved around the research, the investment, the petty back biting and underhanded hoarding of acquired information (alright...that I enjoy. So sue me), that the actual enjoyment and "coolness" of just plain 'ol hot rodding gets lost.
But it's on. The car is done for all practical purposes. We just have to pop in the drive shaft, radiator hoses, mufflers, and we're ready to go to photography. And once "Naked Milner" is set to film? Rip that baby apart and send it to paint and chrome.
It really is exciting.
For now.



Trouble In Mind - Jimmy Witherspoon