Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Instant Karma

I knew it was too good to last. We're taking my Dad's nice bone stock '38 Ford and souping it up. Do they still say that? I guess so 'cause I just did. Anyway, the engine is tired and we're getting tired of messing with the distributor. It's impossible to reach and we can't keep the s.o.b. timed. We considered running a more recent distributor and upgrading to a 12 volt system. But if we were gonna do that, why not just change the damn engine? It's either stock or it's not. You can't be a little bit stock, pregnant or dead. You is or you ain't.

After the Graffiti Coupe project (okay, there's never really an 'after' with that never ending dream/nightmare project), I was ready to fore-go the whole custom thing for a while and try to face the challenge of restoring something the way God and Henry Ford intended it to be. But this isn't my car, it's my Dad's. And with a gorgeous rebuilt flattie sitting in my office (It's art, baby!), I was losing the argument. And if the truth be known, it's just not in my father's DNA to leave a car alone. If it isn't brand new, it's a project. Who am I to argue after the Naked Milner? And besides, who doesn't need another hot rod... I'm in.



But dropping this motor in isn't going to be without it's own problems. It's sporting dual carburetors on a Fenton manifold. The carbs sit too close to leave the generator in the stock position, so it's offset. But now we have to figure how to mount a mechanical fan on it without getting too goofy. You'd think Fenton would have made a matching adaptor because they put bolt holes on the front, but I haven't been able to find one. Someone must make something that works. We're going to try our damnedest to not run an electrical fan. That would be gay (Oh no! I'll never direct the Oscars now...).



So if you know how this is done, please give a holler. I'll be up. Aloha.

*